Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Childlike Faith

The other night my husband was giving the kids piggy back rides. Each one of my four kids ages 10, 9, 3, and 1, got a ride up on his strong shoulders. You would have thought that they would have each loved being carried up high safe in Daddy’s care. Not so. Surprisingly it was my older kids that didn’t like it. They were scared, afraid they would fall, and not so sure that their loving Daddy would keep them safe up there on his back. They squirmed and screamed and grabbed for anything they could hold on to- nearly choking him. This was all making it more difficult for my husband to carry them and caused quite a bit of frustration over their distrust. The younger two kids on the other hand, had the time of their life. They did little to hang on, trusting the one who was carrying them, squealing with delight and asking for more! Both my husband and I were a little perplexed over the lack of trust that our older kids had. After all, they have had many more experiences in trusting us to take care of them than my younger children. We’ve never put them in harm’s way, never threatened their safety. How could they not trust us?!

Much like any other family in this difficult economic time we are wondering how our family will fare. We are grabbing at any possibility we can to limit our debt, lessen our expenses and limiting the chances of losing employment. None of these are wrong in and of themselves but I wonder how much distrust we are displaying by getting worried about our financial future. After all God is carrying us through this isn’t he? My husband and I have had years of relationship with him and countless experiences of his provision through difficult times. Why is this any different? He’s always taken care of us before.
How many times does my lack of faith choke out his spirit in my life? How many blessings am I missing out on because of my distrust in his ability to care for me? Nothing takes God by surprise. He never runs out of anything because “he owns the cattle on a thousand hills.” Psalm 50:10 The storehouses of heaven belong to him. He created everything out of nothing.

Just in the way the piggy back ride was a little scary for my kids, sometimes the ride of this life is scary. We are never promised a life without pain or trouble yet we seem to think we are entitled to a life of ease. “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33 Instead of trying to escape the difficult situation we are in, what if we were to ask God what he wants to teach us through it? Why do I get so scared at my possible temporary discomfort? “For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.” 2 Corinthians 4:17 Nothing happens that is out of God’s ability to use for good. God is more concerned in developing my character for eternity than making sure I am comfortable here on earth. My heavenly father sees the big picture, much like my children’s father did while giving that piggy back ride.

As much as my husband was hurt by the lack of trust of his children, God also places such a high importance on our faith in him that Jesus said “I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." Luke 18:17 My two younger kids have it figured out. Enjoy the ride.

It reminds me of the book by C.S. Lewis, “The Chronicles of Narnia-The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe”- referring to Aslan, “Safe?....Course he isn’t safe, but he’s good.”

Matthew 6:25-27, 33
Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment