Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wear Me Down

So the Egyptians made the Israelites their slaves. They appointed brutal slave drivers over them, hoping to wear them down with crushing labor.” Exodus 1:11

I read this verse recently and these words struck me in such a profound way. Isn’t it strange when something you have read a handful of times and tend to skim over, will at another time jump off the page? God’s word truly is “living and active, sharper than any double-edge sword” Heb 4:12

Anyway, the part that was so relevant to me was realizing what a powerful tactic it is to wear someone down. Any parent can relate to finally giving in to something after being begged and pleaded with about 20 times because it’s just not worth the fight. Even more convicting, I wondered how many times I wear my husband down to get something I want. Ouch.

Just as our children study us from the time they are born and learn how to push our buttons, we have an enemy who has studied us our whole lives and knows all of your weak points. He knows how to wear you down to the point that you give up fighting. He knows when we have our defenses down and when we are too distracted by other cares to put up the fight.

It is scary to realize how well Satan knows us. He knows what makes us tick. Thankfully, we have Someone who knows us even better than we know ourselves, for he created us, his name is Jesus. When we are weak, he is strong; when we are tempted, he makes a way out. When we are overwhelmed, he knows and is offering to save us before we even know we need to be saved.

It is my prayer that God wears me down much more that this world or it's powers do.

No comments:

Post a Comment